Friday, August 28, 2009

Silly budget cuts

So apparently we have such a big budget cut now that they are cutting out december graduation at USU, well more like what they're doing is everyone still graduates but they are cutting out the commencement. Not like it costs anything, we're the ones who have to get a hold of the cap and gown. But get this, last night my roommate and I went to this school event, which was bingo. So while we're there they have this contest with two guys who have to eat pizza and then whoever is finished first has to call someone to bring them lucky charms and whoever has it first gets $400.00. Then they're doing something today where with some contest whoever wins get $1000.00 tuition wieved. Yeah, such a huge budget cut that they cut out fall graduation but they seem to be able to afford throwing money out like that. I have to say when I first heard it I was slightly sad, but not a ton since you know it's not like I'm not graduating I'm just not walking. But then when I heard about all of this other stuff I was alot more annoyed...grrrr. And the other thing that is annoying is that they spend thousands of dollars on remodeling the dorms as in totally gutting the buildings and completely redoing them. Yet they can't do fall graduation commencements. Anyways, if I really wanted to walk I'd do it in the spring, but we'll see if that happens.

3 comments:

Eric and Caralee said...

Interesting to see where their priorities are isn't it? I imagine all the "contests" are probably to boost enrollment and get more money...or something like that..

Jessio said...

We live in a stupid beaurocratic world, don't we? When I was at school at SVU, the school was always pouring tons of money into student activities like pool parties while our dorms had lights that were too dim to read by. We were frustrated in the same way.

Jeanne Evans said...

Yeah I actually did hear that the student body is bigger this year. I heard that because my roommate was trying to add some classes and they told her that they were all full and not alot of people were dropping them. So I guess it's kind of helping them get more enrollment.