Wednesday, August 20, 2008

We need to live our religion...!!

This is also something that happened at work: There is a girl that I'm pretty sure has some form of mental illness, but I'm not exacally sure. Basically she'll just ramble and tell wierd stories and sit around alot while we're all working. So I was always nice to her and everything, but when she wasn't around everyone would complain about how they didn't like her and that sort of thing. Well, after awhile as in towards the end of the summer some of my fine co-workers started being really rude to her...and it wasn't just gossiping about her when she wasn't around...it was really saying stuff to her. So one day we all got to work and we had to carry all of this stuff up four flights of stairs and there was so much stuff that this girl had to bring up the whole mop set alone...and beware she's like really, really tiny. So one of the main people that wasn't nice to her told her to bring up just one part and we'd go back and get the rest of it in a minute.
When we finally got up there everyone sat down including this girl that had brought up the mop part. And suddenly the lady who had told her to leave the rest down stairs asked her where the rest was at? And she wasn't being nice about it at all and insisted that this girl go back and get the rest alone while we all just sat there and waited. At this point everyone who was in earshot started pointing out that she did bring up a part as she was told to do. But this lady was still being really rude about it and suddenly this other girl named Jenny jumped up and said that she'd go help get it. Nothing has really been said about this incident since then, except that this lady who was being all rude about the whole deal started being nicer in general.
Well, this week there has only been Jenny and I who have been around. And somehow that incident came up again and she ended up telling me that she didn't appreciate that there was so much gossip going on about this other girl, and she was annoyed that this lady wouldn't be nice to this other girl, even if she was different. And it was actually Jenny that had gone and told the supervisor what had happened and that was why this lady started being nicer towards the end, because the supervisor talked to her.
So I who kind of went along with it and such was quite happy that Jenny tried to stop it and that sort of thing. Well, when we were about to leave work yesterday Jenny suddenly asked me something about about institute, like she didn't attend institute and then she added that she hasn't gone to church in 20 years and basically has been less active. I couldn't believe it because honestly of all the people that I worked with this summer she has been the best one, because she didn't go along with the gossip and she was friends with everyone and she acted like a good mormon, alot better then the rest of us. (I'm included, even though I didn't stay involved in the gossip...but still)
It was just a shocker that so many people say that they're LDS, but how many actually act like they're LDS? How often is it that the non-LDS and less actives are actually better then the LDS people who go to church every sunday of their lives? Yeah, it's sad to admit that Jenny is much better then alot of us and she doesn't go to church every sunday. What's wrong here?

2 comments:

Jessio said...

Hey, I like your insight. I've noticed the same thing a lot. I know that going to church IS important, but it isn't enough by itself. Remember that Moroni 7:46 says that he who has not charity is nothing. And I take that to mean regardless of everything else that he does. So this Jenny doesn't go to church, but she's obviously filled with the pure love of Christ. It's always good to remember that that's the most important thing.

Eric and Caralee said...

I've had very similar experiences to yours, some of my closest friends that aren't LDS seem like they live it better then I do. I know I forget that our religion isn't Sunday only, and we need to work at it all the time.