Monday, November 16, 2009

Maybe it's not as great as it sounds to graduate after all...

I think that I am more frustrated with the after graduation part of things now then I am with any of the classes that I'm in right now. I actually keep getting stress head aches from trying to figure out what to do after graduating, because I am still going on a mission. But it's kind of hard when you have to pay off a student loan first, and the only job you can find related to your major without needing to know Spanish is a 10 hour/week job. So yeah, I am actually considering trying to get a job at a bank, along with the 10 hour/week job that is related to the major. Because I know several people who have graduated who have ended up at banks. So that is probably what I'll end up doing too, but have that as a plan isn't so helpful though since there isn't really a guarantee that there will be any job openings at any Logan banks in January. So I will just continue to get stress headaches I suppose for the next month or so. But I am thinking it's probably also harder to graduate in December then April, because it's like Christmas and not a high job obtaining time of the year as it would be to graduate just as summer is arriving. So just hopefully a bank job works out or I can find something at least a bit decent for being someone with a bachelors degree...we'll see though.

Actually, I can't blame the stress headaches completely on graduating though...alot of it has to do with trying to get 150 hours for a gerontology practicum. I still have to get at least 45 hours in the next few weeks and both sites are running out of stuff to do. But I doubt that they'll just tell me that they have nothing left, they'll keep coming up with stuff to do. So just hopefully I don't get to bored with it and can manage to still get 45 more hours.

I have decided that I probably won't be a researcher someday, because at the moment I'm helping a professor write a journal article that she's trying to get published. But in order to do it I have to read the majority of those research journals that I once was able to just pick and choose what I read. So now I actually have to read the majority of it, methods and results and all. And it's really hard to get through them and come up with enough information that makes sense to put into this new journal article that is being written. But just about 15 more hours with that and then I can be done with it and get like 30 more hours at the Senior Center and then I'll be forever done with this gerontology practicum.

5 comments:

Jessio said...

You have to pay the student loan before you go on your mission? Why? Can't you defer it? Or is just really small and you want to pay it off and be done with it? Paul and I have quite a lot of student loan debt now, but I'm not too worried about it. Since you're graduating around Christmas, you might want to think of looking for seasonal work. I was a seasonal hire at the Distribution Center for one Christmas season, and it was great. You might be able to find some businesses that want you to work a lot of hours to get them through the shoppers. Just something to think about...

Jeanne Evans said...

True...I'm also thinking about trying to work at the book store on campus the first two weeks of school while I'm looking for a job. But yeah it's a small student loan so I'm just trying to get rid of it super fast.

Unknown said...

this a great, well written blog
please could you check my blog out
http://mizzmakeupholic.blogspot.com/

Peggy A.N. Evans said...

Jeanne you are a fine young lady, and you have proven over and over that you can overcome challenges! I love this thought from General Conference probably ten years ago at least. It was stated by Phillip T. Sontag of the Seventy: "The most worthwhile things in life must be won with a struggle." CONGRADULATIONS ON ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK AND EFFORT! I GIVE YOU A STANDING OVATION! Thanks for all you've taught me. Love Always Mother

Jeanne Evans said...

Were you annoyed that I wrote that Mother? I could kind of tell...hehe!!