Friday, January 30, 2009

Practicum

The step family classes that we are teaching started on wednesday and I don't know what I was expecting to happen, but I was quite surprised at how it went. Basically two other girls teach the parenting classes, and two of us teach the 6-17 year old class, but from what we were told it's usually 14 or younger. So I got there and half of the class was teenagers, several were at least 15 or 16. So we did our first lesson, which seemed to be okay, but not all the way. Because the other girl who has a step mom seemed to relate better to everyone more then I did, since I don't have a step family. But it seemed fine for the most part and then they do this thing were the parents and children all come together and talk about what they learned in the class that day, at the end. So we all stayed in the room and after awhile of discussion the lady (they're actually not married yet) started asking the children all these questions basically along the lines of why the children don't consider them all being a family? Yet they aren't actually a family because the parents aren't married. So I guess that I was just surprised, because I've heard about stuff like this in classes, but it's never been real life. Basically saying that you really don't get the real picture from reading a textbook compared to being in a real life situation like that.
As of tonight I get to teach the class, because we do this thing were we each do a lesson every other time and then just help the other person when they are doing the teaching. Hopefully it goes over well, since the older teenagers didn't seem to really like it, just because alot of it is kid games. But I'm sure they'll all be back because there is free food and the parents are getting them there, so we'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Patch of Heaven. said...

Hey Jeanne, thanks for stopping to see my blog. I decided to let everyone see my blog. so that is why you could see it. It is good to here from you. Love a Laura

Jessio said...

Free food should help you with the teenagers, but it will still probably be hard. Teenagers can be so snotty, something on principle, I think. I remember being put out about things sometimes when I was a teenager that were actually not that bad- I just needed to grow up. So try not to take them too personally. I guess it makes me grateful to have a normal unbroken family! The poor kids.

Eric and Caralee said...

I could see how that would be really challenging, this will be a good learning experience for you. :)